Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Driver Diary: Entry #3

After a long night of partying in Aspen, we headed out to Vegas at about 10 am. If anyone has ever drove Route 70 out of Colorado through Utah you know how spectacular the drive is. I could never do it any justice by explaining it to the people who have never driven this route; you just have to do it. Right when you think it was over, you pick up 15 down through Arizona...Unreal.

As many people know, This version of Bullrun is being shot for ITV in the UK, Spike's Bullrun will be coming soon (Come to Caesars Palace and find the Spike TV Bullrun bus to try out to be a Bullrunner). Anyway, when I got out of the car today I had ITV cameras in my face and I was saying anything that came to my head. What I said was, "You're looking at an American who's ever really seen his own country". Dead true. I'm seeing it now and it makes me even more proud. There is a lot of good people out there and a lot of beautiful terrain.

Even the cops have been pretty cool. Sure it sucks to get a speeding ticket, but that's what you sign up for by running this rally. I actually received my first speeding ticket yesterday in my entire life from a Kansas State Trooper. We were running with Noah and Rob's Ford GT. During a stretch, Rob asked us to do a speed run for the next Super Speeders DVD. After reaching high speeds, I got pinched on my way down. I knew he had me and I was seriously nervous when he took my license back to his cruiser. THIS IS TOTALLY TRUE... The officer come back and say, "Rory, I got you at a speed that usually means arrest, but I'm going to right you up at 99 mph". "I really apologize, I had to right you up cause you guys (Bullruners) have been all over the radios. I also apologize for my poor handwriting, I was writing as fast as can so I can get you back to your race". I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP.

Today, on the way to Vegas I rode with my Bullrun friend Kristine in her Porsche Boxter. Totally different ride. I still blazed at 90- 100mph, but cops barely even looked at me. The difference is amazing. Here's the way I see it. When a cop sees a Porsche or a Mercedes roll by at high speeds it's no big deal. When a cop sees a Lamborghini or Ferrari roll by, it equivalent to him seeing a Glazed Doughnut flying by - he has to have it. I LOVE the Lambo and I can’t wait to get back in it tomorrow, but today was different because there was way less stress. A nice day for the scenic route.

We're partying at Tangerine (Treasure Island) tonight...stop by.

Rally Effect Shoutouts...

· Kansas - You girls in the Buick Lucerne are insane!! There is no way you should have run with us that long for that fast. Next time, please keep your distance because when our Valentine One makes any noise, we're on the breaks. Believe me our brakes our better than yours. Believe it or not, the brakes probably cost more than your car.

RC

2 comments:

Rockin On said...

Where in the world is Jennifer Nicole you spoke of in a earlier blog. Who is she....want to know more!!What number is her car and how is she and Keri doing in the race? Great blogs-always look forward to reading of the adventures.

Brad Parker said...

Rory:

I'm actually the Sherman County Deputy that wrote you that citation for 99 in a 70 mph (mile post 11 westbound I-70). Not that it particularly matters, but I'm a Deputy Sheriff...not a State Trooper. I don't recall stating that your speed usually meant a trip to jail...but I'd have to go back and look at the video. (It is true, folks, that my writing was poor on the citation, as I was trying to get these guys back on the road.)

I really appreciate how cordial you and your partner were, and I really appreciate how you stopped so quickly and chose not to gun it. I really like my Police Package Crown Victoria, but I think you would left me in the dust with your car. I hope I made your first speeding citation as painless as possible.

Best wishes, and be safe, at whatever speed!

Brad Parker
Sherman County Sheriff's Office
Goodland, KS

Even the cops have been pretty cool. Sure it sucks to get a speeding ticket, but that's what you sign up for by running this rally. I actually received my first speeding ticket yesterday in my entire life from a Kansas State Trooper. We were running with Noah and Rob's Ford GT. During a stretch, Rob asked us to do a speed run for the next Super Speeders DVD. After reaching a little over 160mph, I got pinched on my way down. He had me at over 120mph and I was seriously nervous when he took my license back to his cruiser. THIS IS TOTALLY TRUE... The officer come back and say, "Rory, I got you at a speed that usually means arrest, but I'm going to right you up at 99 mph". "I really apologize, I had to right you up cause you guys (Bullruners) have been all over the radios. I also apologize for my poor handwriting, I was writing as fast as can so I can get you back to your race". I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP.